I wish I could remember what
artisan I got the door knob, light switch and outlet plates, I
would love to give him/her credit (I can't even find the website
again...). I was surfing along and found a 1/6 scale high lift
jack and purchased it, but I noticed there were several other
bits and bobs for sale so I ordered up a few samples.
I colored these in a silver, I think they will work out great.
I installed a little plumbing
section of airline and added a few outlets today. My garage had
guests and I didn't have much time to accomplish much, and
spending way too much time and money on my SCX10 JK.
Trying my hand at some shop lights. They are
about 6 inches long.
Yes, those are 5mm super bright
white LED's pressed into the ends of straws. This was my first
effort was using white straws and a band of silver paint on the
outside edges. I clocked the positive leads (on both ends)
facing each other and soldered them together, then routed the
negative leads just to the outside of that (both ends).
I joined the two ends up with some 16 gauge wire (positive to
positive and negative to negative). In the photo above you can't
see the wires as I installed a false bottom behind the tubes to
hide the wires (although if you look close you can see the false
I added a 1/4 watt 10 ohm resistor to the the negative side as
well as soldering a JST battery connector on to the positive
side and of course to the negative side via the 1/4 watt
It works exactly how I thought it would except the light isn't
as strong at the center of the straw, this setup may work better
using clear straws. I will work up a set of clear ones to test
when I run across some, so far fancy colored ones seem to rule
In the end, the visual effect of replicating florescent tubes
that actually come on when you put the B+ to it is a win!
By popular request I have made
up a short how-to for these lights:
I hope this helps to clarify.
Material to start off this project (faux florescent tubes) I
Two straws cut to 6 inches
Four 5MM high intensity white LED's
One 1/4 watt - 10 ohm resistor
One JST RC male connector plug
7" black and red 16 gauge wire
Soldering iron and a small length of rosin core electrical
Needle nose pliers or the equivalent
To start off, I gently slipped
the LED's into the ends of the precut 6" tubes, then carefully
make a silver strip (I use a silver paint pen) around the tube
to simulate the tube's metal end caps.
Make sure to clock the positive leg of the LED (the long one) to
face 6 o'clock, then rotated the bottom tube over 180 degrees so
that all four long legs (positive) are touching each other.
Next I shortened up the long legs
to the approximate length that I wanted the tubes apart inside
the light fixture and soldered them together.
Then I bent the short legs
together in a similar fashion taking care to leave enough gap
between the the positive and the negative legs as to ensure they
won't have the opportunity to be kissing cousins and mess up
your great day!
I also measured and cut a backing
piece or 030 styrene that I will glue the tubes to when they get
installed into the light fixture. This piece will hide the 7" of
wire that join up both sides resulting in a much cleaner
I took my 7" of red and black
wire and joined all four of the positive legs together, then
joined all four of the negative legs together.
As an alternative to the straw
tubes, you could just as well use an LED strip which works
excellent in producing maximum light from this set up.
Building the light fixture is
pretty straight forward so I won't bore you with the details of
gluing a couple of strips of styrene together, but here are a
couple of snaps sans the wiring.
As I mentioned earlier, the
effect of the tubes is satisfactory but the light diminished the
closer it get to the middle. I haven't tried it yet with clear
straws but that may achieve the desired results. The overall
look and feel of a shop light has been achieved although the LED
strip version will probably win the day to do the majority of
lighting around the garage.
Here is a overhead wide angle of
the garage as it sets now - but there are dozens of projects in
various states of completion ranging from conceptualized on my
drawing board to finished in the wings awaiting one thing or
another that aren't shown. So please pardon my dust for a work
I built this little fish tank
last month and it has been sitting around waiting to be
finished. Hood made, lights installed, power on. I'll probably
put together a little stand for it as opposed to just setting it
on the work bench.
It was the teeniest, tiniest hammer ever to put